Achieving Work-Life Balance as a Real Estate Agent and a Mom
Juggling real estate responsibilities with carpools, school schedules and extra-curricular activities can be challenging. But it is possible to do so successfully. While a career in real estate offers flexibility that can’t be found in other industries, it is still demanding with you being on call 24/7. It is important to find a balance between work and life that enables you to enjoy both. Time management is the key to finding the balance that works for you. Here are some strategies to help:
- IDENTIFY YOUR PRIORITIES - Make a list of what is most important in your life. Divide the list into categories such as business, family, health, and spirit. Then think about how much time and energy you spend on each of these areas. Try to write down what percentage of your time is being used for each. If you find that the majority of your time and energy is going to one area, that means the others are likely suffering.
- ORGANIZE YOUR PHYSICAL WORK SPACE - A cluttered work space can be detrimental to decision making. Set your work space up to promote focus, especially if you work from home. Make sure you have a dedicated space for your work that is separate from your personal living space.
- CREATE MORE THAN ONE TO DO LIST - Three different types of to do lists will help keep you organized. The first should be what you need to do TODAY. The second should be what needs to be done THIS WEEK. Finally, you should have a master to do list of things that are coming in the future. When a task comes at you, you can plug it into whichever list is appropriate. Make sure to include family activities in your list as well so that you don’t have conflicts.
- UNPLUG AND UNWIND - Sometimes you need to unplug from technology to work at a deeper level. You will be amazed at how much you can get done when you slow down and let your creative juices flow. Set aside an hour here and there during your week to break away from email, social networks and texting.
- PLAN AHEAD - Take time at the end of each day to look ahead at what is in store for tomorrow. Tie up loose ends so you can make a clear break while transitioning from your work life to your personal life. It is in your best interest to control your own time and how you use it rather than letting clients dictate it.
The truth is, nobody can do it all. When you allow yourself to become overwhelmed with tasks and to do lists, everyone suffers; your clients, your family, and especially you. Finding your work-life balance is the most important step you will take toward finding success and fulfillment in all areas of your life.