Dog Lovers Unite! How to Find a Dog-Friendly Neighborhood
When searching for your new home you want to make sure the neighborhood is a good fit for everyone in the family, including your pup. You will likely be looking for a nice yard, but it’s important to look beyond the property line. The type of neighborhood you end up in can make a huge difference in the quality of life for you and your fur babies. Here are a few signs that you have found a dog friendly environment:
- There are more groomers in a two-mile radius than hair salons…walk in appointments welcome!
- Restaurants and shops have water bowls and treats for visiting pups.
- Pet waste stations are abundant.
- The local dog park is always busy with happy pooches frolicking with friends.
Here are some more serious things to think about when considering the home and neighborhood that will work best for you and your pets:
- NEIGHBORS WITH DOGS. They will be more understanding if your dog occasionally barks and are more likely to be helpful should you need someone to let your dog out or walk them while you are away from the house.
- PET SHOPS. Areas with a lot of pets mean that there will be pet shops conveniently available.
- SIDEWALKS. A neighborhood with sidewalks is idea for dog-walking. Bonus point if they have waste stations too.
- DOG PARKS. These are especially nice for urban areas. Check if there are off-leash hours or dog runs, or at least grassy areas where pups can run and play.
- MEET-UP GROUPS. Check and see if there are local meet-up groups available for playdates with other families with dogs. This is a great way for you to make friends as well!
If you are looking to move to the New River Valley area and want to find a pet friendly neighborhood, contact Desi Sowers at 540-320-1328 to start your home search today!