Pool Ownership - Love It or Leave It?
Summer is almost here and it is getting hotter with every passing day. There is nothing more refreshing on a steamy summer day than slipping into the coolness of a swimming pool. The idea of having a swimming pool in your own backyard sounds very appealing, but before you decide to install one, take some time to learn the pros and cons of pool ownership.
- Family Time - What better way to spend a hot summer day than playing in the pool with your family? Spending time with family is one of the biggest reasons people get pools. Gathering your family together in the heat of summer to sit around inside your home isn’t half as much fun as swimming and being around the pool together. A swimming pool provides activity and fun for families. 17 Swimming Pool Games for Kids This Summer
- Entertainment - Many people enjoy hosting backyard cookouts during the summer months. Having a pool makes cookouts even better. A pool will keep your guests cool and entertained. Celebrating special occasions poolside makes them more fun!
- Lifestyle & Convenience - Being able to walk out your back door and relax by the pool is another reason why pools continue to be a popular choice for homeowners. Going to a public pool isn’t always relaxing. First, you must pack up everything you’ll need for the day - towels, books/magazines, water, snacks/lunch, goggles, pool toys etc. Once you get that all in the car, you have to drive to the pool, find a parking place and lug all that stuff into the pool area. Then hopefully you find a chair (or if you brought your kids, two or more chairs together). Once you finally settle in and open your book, relaxation may not come easy at a crowded pool with loads of screaming children splashing and playing around you. Now, imagine simply stepping out your back door with book, towel and drink in hand, lying in a comfy chair, and enjoying a quiet day of reading and cooling off in the crystal water of your own pool. Sounds pretty spectacular to me!
- Aesthetics - A pool makes a beautiful centerpiece for the backyard. With attractive landscaping and lovely patio furniture, a sparkling pool can become the crown jewel of your outdoor living space.17 Swimming Pools That Make us Wish that Year-Round Summer Was a Thing
- Health - An increasingly popular reason to own a swimming pool is for physical activity. Swimming has been a favorite form of recreational activity for a long time. Whether you do lap swimming or water aerobics, physical activity in the pool can help you stay in shape while also being easy on your joints.
- Time - If you already live a busy lifestyle and you are rarely at home, a swimming pool is probably not for you. There is no point in having something that you are not going to use.
- Lifestyle - Many people think “if only I had a pool, I would use it all the time!”. And maybe you would. Maybe you would stay home more often and exercise more. But you must be realistic. Just like having a pair of running shoes doesn’t make you a runner, having a pool might not make you change your current lifestyle. And you can’t hide your pool in your closet. Before installing a pool, give a lot of thought as to whether you will use it enough to make it worthwhile so that you don’t end up with buyers’ remorse.
- Money - Installing and owning a swimming pool means spending some money. Most people will finance their pool, so you have to budget for the monthly payments. Also, there will be costs for upkeep. There will be monthly chemical and utility costs. If you don’t think you will use the pool enough or that you will want to spend that money elsewhere, purchasing a swimming pool is probably not a wise financial move.
- Upkeep - Pools don’t take care of themselves. They have to be cleaned and maintained regularly. At the beginning of summer, you have to “open” your pool and at the end of the season you must “close” it. It’s a lot of work. You are either going to have to do that work yourself, or you’re going to have to hire someone to do it. Either way, you need to decide if you will use the pool enough to make it worth it. Pool Maintenance 101
Getting a pool is a big expense, so carefully think through the pros and cons before having one installed!
If you are in the market for a new home in the New River Valley area and you would like a home that already has a swimming pool, Desi Sowers can help you find it! Give her a call at 540-320-1328 and let her assist you in finding your dream home today!